A sustainable Minnesota lawn maintenance routine is vital for the health of your plants and trees. Here is a brief schedule guide to follow by outdoor living contractor Backyard Reflections.
Seasonal Plant Growth Cycle
- In early spring, roots are long and full of nutrients cached during the fall. Shoots utilize this stored energy for growth.
- In warm summer, the growth of leaves and roots slow down. This is because plants rest during the season of heat and drought.
- In the fall months, shoots begin to grow again and nutrients are stored in the long roots for the colder months.
- In the winter, root growth is stimulated by soil temperatures above 32°F.
When to Schedule Lawn Maintenance
It is crucial that you schedule your lawn and landscape maintenance during times that match the life cycle of the turfgrass. Do not add fertilizer too early in the spring as it may encourage growth during a time when it should be dormant. When temperatures are warm, do not spray to inhibit weeds. It only increases the likelihood of damaging your lawn. Do not apply herbicide in the fall because crabgrass does not develop until late spring or early summer.
Lawn Care Calendar
- Mowing: Last week of April to early November
- Crabgrass control: Mid-April to mid-May
- Watering: May to late October
- Seeding: Early August to late September
- Fertilizing: Early August to mid-October
- Dethatching: Mid-August to September
- Sodding: Early May to June; mid-August to late October
- Aerating: Mid-August to mid-October
Backyard Reflections is a full-service residential landscape design and build contractor in Minnesota. Committed to delivering quality craftsmanship and superior customer service, our certified team is ready to transform your dream outdoor space into a reality. Call us at (320) 640-2626 in Annandale, (218) 220-2785 in Nisswa, or fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment.