Flowering plants make an incredible addition to any landscape. But as you read up on your available options, you’ll have to ask yourself this one important decision: would it be better to just plant perennials or annuals? Let the premier landscape design company in the area, Backyard Reflections, help you to the necessary conclusion:
Why You Should Pick Annuals
Some types of flowering plants are annuals, which germinate, flower, set seed, and die all in one season. What annuals ultimately do is reproduce themselves as much as possible, allowing them to produce a profusion of flowers until the season changes. You’ll need to replant most of them next spring, but there are annuals like sweet alyssum and forget-me-nots that also self-sow and grow by themselves. Planting annuals is a good idea because they:
- Allow you to garden one year at a time, giving you the opportunity to experiment with new plants and color schemes with little effort.
- Can temporarily fill bare spots on your landscape until you know what to do with them.
- Add a good splash of color in vegetable gardens.
- Can be counted on to produce a significant number of flowers, allowing for instant gratification.
Why You Should Choose Perennials
Compared to annuals, these flowering plants tend to have a longer lifespan. Perennials are cold-hardy, so you’ll see them growing again next spring. And while they typically bloom only for one season each year, some types are also reblooming, or even long-blooming. You should consider perennials because they:
- Offer a good return on investment thanks to their longer lifespan.
- Make care and maintenance easy, as these flowering plants require less water once established.
- Create a welcome habitat for local wildlife and pollinators, especially if you planted types that are native to your area.
Why You Should Go for Both
There’s nothing wrong with taking the third option. Integrating both annuals and perennials into your landscape offers you unlimited options for color, texture, form, and bloom time. Encouraging biodiversity in your outdoor space is always a good idea, and planting both annuals and perennials will only benefit you in the long run. But to ensure that your choice of flowering plants are incorporated properly and effectively into your landscape, it’s best to work with a trusted professional like Backyard Reflections.
Schedule Your Consultation Today
When it comes to high-quality landscaping and outdoor living solutions, Backyard Reflections remains the number-one choice. Our communication lines are always open! Call us today at (320) 274-6336 or at (218) 454-1065. You may also fill out this contact form to set up a consultation. We proudly serve homeowners in and around Annandale and Nisswa, MN.