For most homeowners, just having a patch of lawn and a few measly shrubs in the backyard isn’t enough. Some greenery would be nice, sure, but you should also consider adding an element that makes your outdoor living space a true oasis. How about a water feature? Depending on the available space, you can either get a fountain, pond, stream, or waterfall in your backyard.
There’s nothing quite like the sound of rippling water to relax the mind. You may even find yourself spending more and more time on the deck or patio, a good book or a glass of something cold in hand, the trickling water a soothing background noise. But once you have the water feature in place, you’ll need to start planning its maintenance. After all, if you want to get the most out of this design element, it’s important to keep it clean and intact.
The trusted provider of high-quality landscape design services, Backyard Reflections, shares how to take care of your outdoor water features effectively.
1. Be strategic in the placement of your water feature. Keeping your water feature clean and looking good is simple enough, but you don’t actually need to spend too much time with the task. There are a few ways to make cleanup easier. You should, for example, avoid placing the feature next to trees. Otherwise, you’ll be wasting a lot of time scooping leaves out of the water.
2. Consider a skimmer. The waste buildup is a common issue in water features. It doesn’t just reduce the water flow to the pond or foundation pump (which makes cleaning and maintaining the water feature more difficult and time-intensive) but can also harm any fish you keep in the pond. You can avoid all these, however, by getting a pond skimmer. Primarily used in ponds, the skimmer collects floating debris on the water and prevents them from accumulating. Just don’t forget to empty its debris net regularly.
A water feature can add significantly to your landscape design, but brown and cloudy water won’t be doing it any favors. Skimming leaves and other loose debris regularly can help prevent that. You can also add activated carbon to keep the water looking clear.
3. Get rid of algae. You can use a bristle brush for this, but you can also stop algae growth in the first place by increasing the number of oxygenating plants on the surface of the water feature. The more plants you have, the fewer nutrients there are in the water, significantly reducing the potential for algae blooms. The plants can also help limit the pond’s exposure to sunlight, which is another factor aside from nutrients that encourage the growth of algae. If you want to try additives, you can use barley, a natural deterrent to algae, or go for any available EPA-registered algaecides.
4. Clean the water feature thoroughly. To keep your water features well-maintained, deep-clean them every spring and fall. It’s not the most appealing of tasks, but it’s a necessary one. If you’d rather not do the cleanup yourself, you can always turn to a reliable landscape design company like Backyard Reflections, whose job is to meet the outdoor design and maintenance needs of Minnesota homeowners like you.
5. Check for leaks. Do you find yourself adding water to the feature on a daily basis? Perhaps you’ve noticed a sort of hissing sound in the constantly running water fill valve? These may indicate a leak, which may occur because of the ground settling along the perimeter of the waterfall or stream. If there are wet areas along the lip of the pond, waterfall or stream, it usually means that water is already leaking over the liner. Still, it doesn’t hurt to confirm. You can check slow-moving areas in your water feature for clogging, which may be causing the water to back up and flow over the liner. If you have too many growing plants on the water surface, they may be displacing the water and allowing it to leak over the sides. For a more accurate assessment, just have it checked by a landscaping professional, who will also advise you on the most appropriate solution.
What Working with Backyard Reflections Is Like
Keeping a lovely and well-maintained landscape can be hard work, but you don’t actually have to go it alone. There’s no harm in taking a hands-free approach and leaving the job to a trusted professional like Backyard Reflections. Minnesota homeowners know that when it comes to keeping their outdoor spaces clean, functional, and beautiful, we’re the only name to call. Here’s what to expect when you choose us for your landscaping needs:
- You’ll be working alongside a licensed and insured professional. Backyard Reflections has all the necessary qualifications that make us eligible to perform residential landscape design/build services in and around Brainerd Lakes. As a fully licensed and insured company, we can ensure your greater protection. Do you need us to show you our credentials? Just ask and we’ll be more than happy to oblige.
- You’ll have access to a full range of landscape and outdoor living services. Whether you need us to build and maintain your landscape features, or create comfortable and personalized outdoor spaces, Backyard Reflections definitely has got you covered. We have served the Minnesota communities for over 20 years, ensuring that every project we take on is completed to exemplary results. This we continue to make possible by delivering superior workmanship, customized design solutions, and customer-focused service.
- You’ll get a positive and enjoyable experience throughout. Backyard Reflections utilizes a proven and streamlined approach to landscape design/build and maintenance. From the initial consultation all the way to project completion, you’ll have our dedicated team working closely with you and guiding you through every phase of the project. And if you have any questions or concerns? They’ll be addressed to the best of our ability. Our firm commitment to providing customer-first service is one of the reasons we continue to earn 5-star ratings locally and in Google My Business.
Schedule Your Design Consultation
Backyard Reflections is your go-to company for innovative and functional landscape design and outdoor living services. Using high-quality options, and headed by our skilled and experienced team, we’ll help you create the outdoor space that’s uniquely yours. We proudly serve the areas in and around Annandale and Nisswa, MN. Call us today at (320) 274-6336 or (218) 454-1065. You may also fill out this contact form to schedule your consultation. We look forward to working with you!