While repellents and pesticides can reduce the number of mosquitoes and ticks in treated areas of your yard, it is not enough to rely on spraying to eliminate your risk of infection. Fortunately, you can keep these pests under control by making natural changes to your landscape. Here are some simple techniques to help you:
Create a Tick-Safe Zone in Your Yard
Get rid of black-legged ticks in your yard with these landscaping measures:
- Remove leaf filter.
- Mow the lawn on a regular basis.
- Clear tall grasses around your home.
- Stack wood in a dry area. This also discourages rodents.
- Keep backyard equipment, patio, and deck away from yard trees and edges.
- Build fences to ward off animals, like raccoons and deer.
- Remove old furniture from the yard that may give ticks shelter.
Kill Mosquito Larvae Lurking in Your Yard
Eliminate sources of standing water in your outdoor living area to stave off mosquitoes. Otherwise, you must kill the larvae while they are still confined to the water. But what if you have a swimming pool or garden pond? Here are tips to control the mosquito larvae that may be lurking in these places:
- Make sure the swimming pool is aerated and chlorinated.
- A bacteria called “Bti” is often used to keep mosquito larvae in standing water in check.
- Aerate artificial ponds to keep the water running. Mosquitoes will only breed when the water is stagnant.
- Avoid piling aquatic plants in artificial ponds.
- Place fish that eat mosquito larvae in artificial ponds.
Backyard Reflections is a full-service landscape contractor in the Annandale, Minnesota area. Our certified team can help customize your landscape design and keep your property clean and pest-free. We deliver industry-leading products and outstanding customer service to ensure the comfort and satisfaction of each and every client. Call us at (320) 640-2626 or fill out our contact form to set up an appointment.